Tuesday, May 4, 2010

As most of you know, I have been struggling with my knee since surgery in January. Sometimes I just get really frustrated because I feel I'm not contributing as much as I could with two good legs. One of the missionaries here made me a wooden crutch so I could go on stage. (No aluminum crutches in the 1840's) I've even had people see me in the sites the next day and say "Oh, so that wasn't a prop last night." So, despite trying to be cheerful and see the humor in my situation, I sometimes get really irritated by it all.

On Sunday Apr. 25 We gave our going home talks ( I know we still have nearly 4 months, but their are so many going home that we have to start early to get everyone in). Anyway I talked about my 3rd great-grandparents. Drucilla and James Hendricks. James was wounded at the battle of crooked river and was crippled the rest of his life. No light aluminum crutches for him. No comfortable wheel chairs. No air conditioned, shock absorbed cars. etc. etc. etc. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for him and her with life as it was in the 1840's. Yet, they did manage to get to the rocky mountains, raise their family and James served as a bishop and mayor for a number of years. So maybe I should forget the inconveniences of having to use a crutch for a few months and just be grateful for all the wonderful blessings we enjoy. We are so grateful for all our wonderful family. Being here in Nauvoo is really the most wonderful privilege we could ever hope to have. The restored gospel of Jesus Christ is such a wonderful gift from our Heavenly Father and His Son. Life is full of joy and exciting opportunities. I have NOTHING to complain about. God bless you all. Love from both of us.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE that my mom always finds the bright side of everything! I've MISSED you!!! We come next week for the husband/wife convention and are hoping to come up a day early (monday) so that we can see you a bit more. We wanted to stay a day late instead so we'd be there on friday, but then we'd have to miss Shanna's concert on thursday night (we're already missing Michaels on tuesday night...sigh!)

    Anyway, cannot wait to hug you again! (and gab!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great parents I have! Thank you for your example to me through out the years! Love you tons!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you're still having knee problems! Love you! Thanks for your positive attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I was reading your post, I was again reminded of the amazing things that our Heavenly Father has blessed me with, the example of my wonderful parents, not just now, but for the last 40 something years!!! I am soo grateful that the Lord saw fit to construct our family in the way He did!! The older I get, the more I appreciate the non world things and marvel in the Eternal relationships that I have. I love each member, and look forward the seeing you all !!

    ReplyDelete